Keep up with Mike of the Brigada Mariposa biking around the Americas!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

And just like that…

Guatemala. Well, almost. Maybe even by the time you read this. Tomorrow I will be crossing the border but today I am resting in Tapachula, a lively border town in southern Chiapas. I can’t say it’s like the San Diego of Mexico, because it isn’t – but it is no Tijuana either. There are dancers and artisans in the plaza (including me tonight) and a lively, Mexican-market like atmosphere. I will be selling the various earrings, bracelets and necklaces that I have been making on the road, something that I’ve had a bit of success with so far. I have been using mainly seeds, stones, clay, beads and wire and have been improving my technique bit by bit. People seem to like it.

I had a hellavua push from Oaxaca to where I am now. The mountains of the Sierra de Juarez are as beautiful as they are big, and getting over them to Tehuantepec took 3 days. The 3rd day was really tough: I had to push though some intense pain and anguish to finally make it to the city. Apparently, Tehuantepec is a very accepting and open place for gays. They are hosting a big gay pride party there on the 30th of April (a day which also happens to be the día del niño in Mexico– um…weird) and the people are already getting excited and making preparations. I took a rest day there, spending the time working on the artisania, then headed out to cross the Istmo.

The Istmo de Tehuantepec is a very windy part of the world and as a result, the 5th largest producer of clean energy on the planet thanks to the windmills installed there by the CFE. Great for the electricity lovers, but bad for the cyclists that have to push against strong headwinds and deal with the fierce gusts that can push you right off the road if you let your guard down. After that fun, I arrived in Chiapas and was pleased to see how lush and green it is, with frequent rivers to bathe in and lots of plants and insects. The only down side was riding 8 hours a day for 4 days straight in the blistering sun. Literally blistering – I noticed my arms starting to bubble. It is really hot here. More sunscreen and long sleeves are the solution for now but I can’t wait to get into the cooler mountains again.

Although I took the coastal (less mountainous) autopista through Chaipas, and therefore have a very different perspective of the state then my good friend Pxl, I still think it’s really cool. It’s greener, the people are friendly and there are lots and lots of bikes. Bike taxis everywhere, bike commuters, bike ice cream vendors, bike clothing stores, you name it. I still hope to go up into the mountains and jungles of Chiapas after a roundabout route through Guatemala and who knows where else.


So yea, Guatemala, ready or not, here I come!

1 Comments:

Blogger pxl said...

congratulations on making it to guatamala. I hope you make it back to Chiapas for the Highlands, my favorite part of mexico by far.

I'm in San Diego. crazy.
biking across the border the fucking border patrol made me get off my bike and go stand in line with the pedestrians, fuckers. they wanna put their traffic laws on me as if I was a car, but when I wanna use a vehicle lane to cross back into cali, they deny me the same classification. don't they know what I've been thru? I earned that damn spot on the assfault.

hope your trip goes swimmingly.

12:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home