Keep up with Mike of the Brigada Mariposa biking around the Americas!

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Bitter Irony

After a wonderful stay in Puerto Escondido that included live ska music, beautiful beaches, amazing travelers and a horseback ride to some hot springs, I've finally set off on my own. My first day was amazing, I climbed well over 1000m from the sea, with amazing views down the mountainside to the coast. I descended into a beautiful river valley and camped in my hammock next to the river, alongside a suspension foot bridge. I woke up to a beautiful sunrise and a couple of dudes trying to rope an angry bull. I got on the road early, about eight thirty, and climbed again for most of the day. Up and up and up, out of the valley and into the cool pine forest. Such beautiful roads, scenic mountains and fresh air here, and very little traffic. I was on top of the world. When I crested the peak of the highest climb between the sea and Oaxaca, about 2500m and started to descend down into the valley thousands of meters below. Then my chain got stuck between chain rings and snapped, wrapping itself around my cassette and twisting my derailleur to bits. I had to get off the road and admire the irony - I have had an extra set of chains and for the last four months I had been caring an extra derailleur. That is, I was carrying an extra derailleur until I left Puerto Escondido where I left it to save weight two days ago. I could have fixed everything on the spot, but without this part I was screwed. I hailed a bus that was going by and hitched a ride down the mountain to Oaxaca. The bus was a private charter doing a tour of religious sites in Mexico, so I was lucky enough to get grilled on my faith and then try to see the Virgin of Guadalupe in a well (no luck). So now I'm here in Oaxaca and have lots to do, so I should be here for the next week or two. I'm really looking forward to more mountains and the amazing magic of the south.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home