Keep up with Mike of the Brigada Mariposa biking around the Americas!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Valle de Yaqui


Biking is a wonderful feeling. Biking into pueblitos of decayed brick structures, adobe homes, bare footprints in the dirt and 30 Yaqui children running after you is something altogether different. It´s grounding, more real than real. We often have to greet and spend quite a bit of time with all the kids from whatever village we stop at. We´re an oddity - and odd things attract attention, as well as ever more oddness. Wierd, wonderful things happen almost every day. Biking across a landbridge that appears on no map to happen upon a beautiful island hotspring is a recent example. Kicking it with the road construction crews that are impressed that (a) we biked here from Tucson and (b) that we just slid across their recently wetted mud street. The guy driving the grater, Jose Luis, deserved a badge (BBSB).

My wheel is going to fail. Very soon, I´m affraid. I´m up to 4 broken spokes, a couple nipples ripping their way through my rim and a stripped out hub. Barely holding it together, but I´m happy with overall performance from (newly dubbed) Osita (the bike).

Some amazing photos should be up today.

3 Comments:

Blogger OG (The Original Gabriel) said...

LOVE the new photos!

LONG LIVE THE KIDS!!!

Let me know if you need repair equipment shipped down

5:13 PM

 
Blogger anon said...

Mike, let me know where I can send a wheel. You can find my email address com PXL. Give me a destination, and I'll ship a wheel to you.

8:45 AM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Many thanks anon!

5:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home